Thursday, March 25, 2010

Never Too Old For Spring Break...

I would like to start off by saying that Chris and I took our first bike ride of the season on our new bikes (our Christmas presents) the other day. Whoever said "it's like riding a bike" (aka you never forget how to do it) is full of it. I was terrified and felt like I was going to fall the majority of the time, particularly any time I made a turn or went around a slight bend. (I don't think I have to tell you how badly Chris was making fun of me.) Now by the end of the bike ride, I was definitely feeling slightly more comfortable on the bike...then I had to stop and get off. Easier said than done. I am quite sure I looked like an idiot, but Chris, being the encouraging soul he is, said "you'll get the hang of it in no time." Even though it was a little awkward (understatement) of a ride, I will say that I am very excited to start riding our bikes a lot this spring and summer (and I know Chris is too, seen as how he has literally been asking if we can go for a bike ride since we got the bikes mid-December!).

The second thing that I would like to say is that this is the last week of Chris's dreadful "Busy Season" :) WHOOOO HOOOOOO!!!! He has already been going in a little later (8ish) and coming home around 7-7:30 this week and might not have to work on Saturday! I am so excited to have him back it's not even funny! And next weekend for Easter (his first "official" post-Busy Season weekend) both our families are coming down for Easter (that way we didn't have to spend our first free weekend driving!)...we are really glad it was able to work out, and it will be nice for Chris's sister too since she's pregnant. Also, our families will get to come to church with us and see the new sanctuary (my family has been to the church before, Chris's family hasn't yet, and they just opened a new HUGE sanctuary a few weeks ago and it's so awesome and we're so excited for them to see it!).

This Sunday, though, we are going to head north to see my Uncle Denny. He is in the late stages of Alzheimer's and is going downhill fast. He is refusing food and drink, which also happened to my Papa before he was taken by Alzheimer's. Please pray for peace for all my family, especially his kids and my mom (her brother). His wife passed away last summer, so they have done a lot of grieving this past year. It's a really sad situation, but at least we all know that when he goes he'll get to see Aunt Char, Granny, Papa, and everyone else who's gone before him!

On a brighter note, Chris and I will be leaving the country two weeks from Sunday! We are going to Peru, South America from April 11-20 to visit my old roommate Kondrath. He's in the Peace Corps down there, and another old roommate, Mel, and her husband, Ross, who are in the Peace Corps in El Salvador are going to meet us there over the same time period and we're going to have a little reuinion :) Some things on the itinerary are: ice climbing, hiking (up to 14,000 feet above sea level), visiting his old site and eating guinea pig, possible bull fight, celebrating my birthday, possibily dune buggying/sand surfing, visiting some Incan ruins, and renting bikes and site-seeing. I am hoping to also continue running while I'm down there (although being at 10,000 feet above sea level I might need an adjustment period haha)...and Mel has been running some races in El Salvador too, so that would be fun. I am especially excited to be spending my birthday there this year...I really love my birthday, and last year was not particularly good (at all), so I think this should make up for that :) As excited as we are, I'm a bit nervous too...please pray for safety during travel and during our stay there. This trip will definitely be welcome after Busy Season...we're calling it our post-college spring break...because you're never too old for Spring Break! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment